British Airways is cancelling one of its daily flights between London Heathrow and Chicago O’Hare airport due to industrial action by cabin crew.
The affected flight numbers are BA297 and BA296.
These also operate under the following codeshares:
BA297: AA6197, AY5537, EI8997, IB4677
BA296: AA6196, AY5536, EI8966, IB4676
These flights are currently cancelled through to Tuesday 8 August 2017, having already been subject to extensive cancellations during July.
Given that the industrial action is due to run through until Wednesday 30 August, and may well be extended beyond this date, there could be further cancellations.
If your flight is cancelled you should have the option of rebooking another British Airways operated flight (BA294 & BA295) or on to one of American Airlines’ four daily flights from London Heathrow to Chicago up to three days before or after your original date of travel. A full timetable is below.
However, it is important to note the following:
- All American Airlines operated flights depart from London Heathrow Terminal 3.
- American Airlines does not operate First Class on this route. Therefore, if you are booked on a cancelled BA flight with First Class you will need to rebook onto an alternative BA operated flight with First Class. Alternatively, you will be downgraded to business class on American Airlines
- American Airlines does not yet operate a premium economy cabin on this route. Therefore, if you are booked in World Traveller Plus on BA and your flight is cancelled, you will need to rebook onto an alternative BA operated flight. All BA operated transatlantic flights from London Heathrow have a premium economy cabin. Alternatively, you will be downgraded to economy on American Airlines.
- If you have a connection on an American Airlines flight at Chicago O’Hare under the same booking you should have the option of re-routing through another gateway in the US such as New York JFK or Dallas Fort Worth.
- If you are connecting from a flight in the UK or Europe (such as Manchester or Paris) to London Heathrow for onward travel to Chicago you should have the option of rebooking on to a direct American Airlines flight to Chicago (if available).
- Alternative rebooking options should also be available on Iberia via Madrid and possibly Aer Lingus via Dublin if convenient.
- If any of the rebooking options are not satisfactory, you will have the option of a full refund.
Affected passengers should check the status of their booking at ba.com and contact either BA or their travel agent.
London Heathrow – Chicago (AA & BA)
BA1525 Depart London Heathrow 07:45 – Arrive Chicago O’Hare 10:20 (Operated by AA)
BA1544 Depart London Heathrow 08:40 – Arrive Chicago O’Hare 11:15 (Operated by AA)
BA295 Depart London Heathrow 10:50 – Arrive Chicago O’Hare 13:25 (Operated by BA)
BA1542 Depart London Heathrow 12:25 – Arrive Chicago O’Hare 15:05 (Operated by AA)
BA297 Depart London Heathrow 16:05 – Arrive Chicago O’Hare 18:40 (Operated by BA)
BA1546 Depart London Heathrow 17:15 – Arrive Chicago O’Hare 20:00 (Operated by AA)
Chicago – London Heathrow (AA & BA)
BA1541 Depart Chicago O’Hare 09:05 – Arrive London Heathrow 22:45 (Operated by AA)
BA1543 Depart Chicago O’Hare 17:10 – Arrive London Heathrow 06:50 (Operated by AA)
BA294 Depart Chicago O’Hare 17:30 – Arrive London Heathrow 07:20 (Operated by BA)
BA1518 Depart Chicago O’Hare 19:25 – Arrive London Heathrow 09:05 (Operated by AA)
BA296 Depart Chicago O’Hare 20:40 – Arrive London Heathrow 10:25 (Operated by BA)
BA1601 Depart Chicago O’Hare 22:25 – Arrive London Heathrow 12:05 (Operated by AA)
For the latest news on the cabin crew strike, please visit our strike information page.