British Airways is to cancel its daily flight between London Heathrow and Doha for December and early January for “operational reasons”.
The affected flight numbers are BA123 and BA122.
BA123 is cancelled from London Heathrow to Doha from Friday 1 December to Sunday 14 January 2018.
BA122 is also cancelled from Doha to London Heathrow from Saturday 2 December to Monday 15 January 2018.
No specific reason has been given for the cancellations other than “operational reasons”. It is understood that the likely reason is that the Boeing 777 which operates this route is being released to cover other routes which use the Boeing 787 fleet which is currently undergoing maintenance to their engines.
Thus route was subject to extensive cancellations in the summer of this year due to cabin crew industrial action and November. It does leave the question as to the long term viability of the route for BA.
BA has a rebooking agreement with Qatar Airways which is a fellow Oneworld alliance member and a 20% shareholder of BA’s parent company International Airlines Group.
If your flight is cancelled you have the option of rebooking on to Qatar Airways from London Heathrow to Doha. You an rebook up to three days before or after your original date of travel.
However, it is important to note the following:
- Qatar Airways operated flights depart from London Heathrow Terminal 4.
- Qatar Airways does not have a premium economy cabin. Therefore, if you are booked in World Traveller Plus on BA and your flight is cancelled, you will be downgraded to economy on Qatar Airways and you should be able to claim compensation for the downgrade.
- If you have a connection at Doha to a destination served directly by British Airways and your ticket was issued by BA, you have the option of rebooking on to a direct BA flight. For example, if you are booked to fly London Heathrow – Doha – Hong Kong you can rebook on to BA’s London Heathrow – Hong Kong flights.
- If you are connecting from a flight in the UK and Europe to London Heathrow for onward travel to Doha (for example, Edinburgh or Paris) you have the option of rebooking on to a direct Qatar Airways flight to Doha (if available).
- If any of the rebooking options are not satisfactory, you will have the option of a full refund.
Affected passengers should check the status of their booking at ba.com and contact either BA or their travel agent.