Virgin Atlantic operations are severely impacted by Coronavirus.
Most of its fleet is grounded. Virgin Atlantic is currently operating cargo only flights to Hong Kong, Los Angeles and New York JFK. The airline expects to operate significantly reduced schedules during 2020, before rebuilding its full route network by late March 2021.
Virgin Atlantic’s transatlantic joint-business partner Delta Air Lines has also suspended all transatlantic routes from the UK. It plans to resume a three times weekly service between Heathrow and Detroit from 21 May 2020.
Virgin has also transferred all flights from London Gatwick, to the extent they are operating, to Heathrow.
The in-flight service in all cabins has been “streamlined” with one main meal service. Only soft drinks are available.
Due to the closure of Terminal 3 by Heathrow Airport, Virgin Atlantic has also temporarily relocated to Terminal 2.
All Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses worldwide have closed temporarily. The Upper Class Wing and “Revivals” lounge at London Heathrow is also closed.
Virgin Atlantic has permanently suspended Newark, and has also cancelled plans to launch Sao Paulo.
Virgin Atlantic is currently in negotiations with the UK government on potential state support. However, according to leaked comments the Treasury considers that Virgin has not done enough to explore alternative sources of funding. Virgin has since announced substantial job cuts and the immediate retirement of its Boeing 747 fleet.
Virgin Atlantic remains in discussions with the UK government and has approached third parties about securing new investment. Sir Richard Branson is also reported to be exploring a sale of his interests in Virgin Galactic to raise funds for Virgin Atlantic.
Here are our latest stories on Virgin Atlantic:
- Virgin Atlantic’s London Heathrow Route Network
- Virgin Atlantic Unveils Radical Restructuring
- Virgin Atlantic Transfers Flights From Gatwick To Heathrow
- Virgin Atlantic Closes Clubhouse Lounges
- Virgin Atlantic Cuts Lounge Services
- Virgin Atlantic Extends Status For Flying Club Members
- Virgin Atlantic Suspends London Heathrow – Tel Aviv
- Virgin Atlantic Postpones Launch Of Heathrow – São Paulo
- Virgin Atlantic Ends Free Upper Class Ground Transfers
- Virgin Atlantic Returns To Cape Town