BA has started to firm up its new schedules at London Gatwick after the acquisition of more than 20 daily pairs of slots from the former airline Monarch. This is equivalent to an extra 150 flights a week.
BA has had to move quickly as it is required to use the slots 80% of the time or risk forfeiting them.
In terms of immediate actions, BA has added extra frequencies on winter ski routes like Grenoble and Turin in February and March as well as Tenerife South in the February half-term. It has also chartered aircraft and crews from Germania and Titan Airways to operate certain flights. These are now showing as “Operated by ST” or “Operated by ZT” in timetables on ba.com If you have an existing booking it should be clear in the Manage My Booking tool which airline is operating your flight.
Frequency increases on existing Gatwick routes:
In the peak summer schedule (late May to late September), BA has increased frequencies on a number of existing Gatwick routes compared to the previous year:
Alicante -From 14 to 22 weekly
Faro – From 17 to 21 weekly
Lanzarote – From 3 to 5 weekly
Madeira – From 6 to 9 weekly
Malaga – From 27 to 35 weekly
Tenerife (South) – From 6 to 13 weekly
New Gatwick routes:
BA has also added three new routes at Gatwick:
Gibraltar – Six weekly flights Friday 25 May 2018 to Saturday 29 September 2018
Mahon, Menorca – Three weekly flights Monday 28 May 2018 to Thursday 27 September 2018
Palma, Mallorca – Eight weekly flights Friday 25 May 2018 to Friday 28 September 2018
BA also serves Gibraltar from London Heathrow, Mahon from London City and Heathrow, and Palma from London City, Heathrow and Stansted. It is possible to “mix and match” London departure and arrival airports if convenient.
All flights operate from BA’s new home in the Gatwick South Terminal. It should be noted that these new routes and additional flights don’t even account for half of the additional slots BA has acquired. Therefore, further new route announcements should be expected in the coming weeks.
Flights are on sale now at ba.com
More to read on British Airways at Gatwick
Here are our latest posts on BA at Gatwick:
- BA Extends Gatwick Short Haul Cancellation To 31 October 2021
- BA Extends Gatwick Short Haul Cancellations To June 2021
- British Airways Reinstates Gatwick – Manchester Connection
- British Airways Cancels Gatwick Short-Haul To July 2021
- British Airways Launches London Gatwick – Montego Bay
- BA Transfers Gatwick Short-Haul Flights To Heathrow
- British Airways Suspends Flights At London Gatwick
- British Airways London Gatwick Winter 2019 Schedule
- British Airways Launches London Gatwick – Antalya
- British Airways Moves Gran Canaria Route To Gatwick
- British Airways Suspends Gatwick – Friedrichshafen
- British Airways London Gatwick – New York JFK Cancellations
- BA’s 10 Abreast Economy Boeing 777 May 2019 Update
- British Airways Suspends Gatwick – Fort Lauderdale
- British Airways Launches Gatwick – Milan Bergamo