Welcome to our 100 part series on the history of BA and its predecessor airlines.
“The Key To Europe”
“BOAC Takes Good Care Of You”
“Europe’s Number One”
“Fly The Flag”
“We’ll Take More Care Of You”
“We Never Forget You Have A Choice”
“Upgrade to BA”
Of all the advertising slogans used by BA and its predecessor airlines, none has been more memorable than “The World’s Favourite Airline”.
Based on the simple fact that BA carried more international passengers than any other airline, it was adopted by the airline 1983.
You can certainly describe it as an audacious move. By BA’s own admission at the time, it was more of a statement of intent than anything else.
It clearly rankled BA’s competitors. Many repeatedly complained unsuccessfully to advertising and broadcasting regulators about its use. It was also frequently mocked by rivals. In its early years, easyJet initially branded itself as “The web’s favourite airline”.
BA officially withdrew its use of the slogan in 2001 after Lufthansa gained the title of “The world’s favourite”. Whether based on the objective measure of passenger numbers, or the subjective views of passengers, the era of “The world’s favourite” is not coming back.
More To Read From BA100:
- BA100: Number One.
- BA100: 2. Concorde
- BA100: 3. “The Face”
- BA100: 4. The Queen of the Skies, The Boeing 747
- BA100: 5. Lord Marshall of Knightsbridge
- BA100: 6. Club World
- BA100: 7. Royal Duties.
- BA100: 8. The Day That Changed The World
- BA100: 9. London Heathrow
- BA100: 10. “The Flower Duet” Léo Delibes
- BA100: 11. A BA Miscellany
- BA100: 12. Chutzpah & Chutzpah – BA & Saatchi
- BA100: 13. The British Airways Uniform
- BA100: 14. Virgin Atlantic
- BA100: 15. “The World’s Favourite Airline”