Fiji Airways is to join the Oneworld alliance under a new tier of membership known as “Oneworld Connect”.
Fiji Airways is the first airline to join Oneworld connect. The exact joining date is yet to be confirmed.
Its membership will be sponsored by American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas.
Under this form of membership, many Oneworld benefits will only be offered by Fiji Airways to customers of these sponsoring airlines.
Oneworld Connect is a new form of alliance membership where the member airline offers a relatively limited range of benefits.
Some benefits are only offered to passengers of certain member airlines.
Benefits offered by Oneworld Connect airlines to all Oneworld passengers
– Priority check-In for Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald frequent flyers
– Priority boarding for Sapphire and Emerald frequent flyers
Benefits offered by Oneworld Connect airlines to passengers of sponsor airlines (eg BA)
– Through check-in of bags and passengers on the same ticket
– Earning and redemption of frequent flyer miles
– Earning of tier points / status credits
– Access to “select lounges at key airports for premium and top-tier customers” (this is not precisely defined)
Additional services may be offered on an airline-by-airline basis.
Joining an alliance is a significant commitment in terms of investment in IT and providing reciprocal frequent flyer benefits. This is clearly aimed at smaller airlines, including those that don’t have their own frequent flyer programmes.
Whilst is does allow more airlines to join the alliance and allow greater flexibility, it does introduce inconsistency in terms of membership benefits.